After the recent launch of the global call-to-action to Vaccinate Our World now, AHF continues the advocacy with virtual press conferences starting this week in Asia and continuing later in Europe, Latin America and Africa! These pivotal sessions will bring public health experts and advocates together to raise their collective voices to demand vaccine equity worldwide.
“As of early May, 1.18 billion vaccine doses had been administered globally – 83% were given in wealthy countries – and low-income countries received a paltry 0.3%,” said AHF Africa Bureau Chief Dr. Penninah Iutung. “Despite initiatives like COVAX that were set to help poorer nations, the vaccine amounts apportioned are inadequate, and developing countries in Africa and other parts of the world have been left to fend for themselves in order to secure enough vaccines for all their citizens. Our advocacy call is that we must unite to highlight the immorality of vaccine rationing and to push legislators and decision-makers to ‘VOW’ to ensure we Vaccinate Our World now!”
- The global COVID-19 vaccination effort must secure $100 billion from G20 countries.
- 7 billion vaccines must be made available worldwide within one year.
- Companies and governments must waive or suspend all COVID-19 vaccine patents during the pandemic.
- Countries must be 100% transparent in sharing information and data.
- World leaders must promote far greater international cooperation as the driving force for ending the pandemic, not continue with politics as usual.
Be on the lookout in the coming days and weeks as we’ll be releasing information from the press conferences. Join the fight today by taking the pledge to VOW to Vaccinate Our World!